Now, I’m not one to go publicly attacking a company without cause. I’m especially not one to public attacking a company without privately contacting them first and giving them an opportunity to explain themselves or make amends. Unfortunately, Nasty Gal clothing has ignored my attempts at contact not once but twice, so I have no choice but to ask for support from my compassionate followers! You all came out in HUGE numbers in response to my "Fur Is the New Green? Is This a Joke?" post (which was awesome of you guys, by the way- her blog went from 0 to 68 comments within a few days!), so I thought I’d try my hand at rallying the troops once again.
So, I like clothes. I often love clothes, much like many young ladies with a pulse. I’m especially excited when I find a small (or small-ish) fashion label that has truly unique, fun, and flattering clothes. I completely fell in love with this Tiger Kaftan from Nasty Gal:
…and was about to order it when I was distracted by this:
A disgusting animal tail of some sort- this can’t even be “defended” by saying it keeps the wearer warm; it’s a blatantly selfish and disrespectful accessory that I can imagine hanging off the hip of Cruella Deville.
Rabbit fur boots. Boots! Are you kidding me?? How many rabbits had to brutally lose their lives to be wrapped around someone’s foot for “fashion”?
I would really love to see this company follow in the footsteps of companies like Urban Outfitters and Planet Blue who, after seeing public outrage over their use of fur, pulled it from their lines entirely. Please consider sending a letter of concern to Nasty Gal at firstname.lastname@example.org or leaving a comment on their Facebook page (mine was deleted but hopefully yours will have better luck). In my letter, I made sure to acknowledge the genuine awesomeness of most of their items and my desire to give them my business, but told them I would be unable to support them until they stop using fur stolen from beautiful, innocent animals whose purpose on this planet has nothing to do with adorning the bodies of selfish humans. For their reference, I included this list of popular, committed FUR-FREE designers:
I also made sure to let them know of the growing compassion and concern among young fashionistas, as evidenced by the Fur Free Friday (seriously, click this link, it’s rad) rallies around the country on Black Friday, as well as the proposed Fur Ban in West Hollywood. If you contact them, let me know! I’d love to know how many emails they’re getting so I can reference them in future messages.
I see Nasty Gal as an uninformed group of fashion lovers who have the capacity to have their hearts and eyes opened if they’re willing. Here’s hoping we can make a difference, can I count on you??
- iam-dollparts answered: What I don’t understand, is how everyone goes crazy because NG uses fur, yet no one cares that nearly every store on earth uses leather?
- modelnvs answered: wow great post I hope this has some impact in the role Nasty Gal is taking…but I guess they don’t call themselves Nasty Gal for a reason?
- paperbackscriber answered: Yes you can. I abhor cruelty to animals. Especially in the name of ‘fashion’!
- paperbackscriber reblogged this from treekisser
- nerdymartini reblogged this from treekisser
- starrfishies likes this
- justformyreadingpleasure answered: The below comment is untrue; while fortunately SOME of their fur is faux, it’s not all (these boots say “genuine rabbit fur”)
- joshlloyd answered: You just rallied ALL these people for nothing. PEOPLE: THE FUR IS FAKE!! Didn’t any of you bother to read the description?! “FAUX FUR”
- amillionmillionvoices reblogged this from treekisser
- m4ge reblogged this from treekisser
- amisaad said: Well it only took one minute for my FB post to be deleted. Guess email is the way to go!
- amisaad reblogged this from treekisser
- iwanttoobreakfree likes this
- backshootingford likes this
- floranymphea likes this
- confrontthewolf reblogged this from treekisser and added:
- pxxn likes this
- dontdrainthelightfromhereyes likes this
- nefstead likes this
- delicatelymine answered: commented on the facebook! hope this lasts!
- intricatestyleoflife answered: i absolutely hate fur in clothing. I’m definitely going to message them about my thoughts on their use of fur!
- -primavisione reblogged this from treekisser
- kloiiincoercible likes this
- radiuss likes this
- bonjourlamour likes this
- brianabean reblogged this from treekisser
- treekisser posted this